WiFi Network Manager
Organization/Department: Circle K – Global Tech Infrastructure and Security (GTIS)
Requirement: WiFi Network Manager
Reports to: Sr Manager Network Ops
Location: Tempe, AZ
The WiFi Network Manager provides technical expertise, strategic planning and recommendations to GTIS Leadership on new wireless technologies in response to business needs. The WiFi Network Manager works with internal partners to evaluate and design solutions for business and customer requirements which will integrate with and enhance the wireless network. The WiFi Network Manager applies complex design principles and methodology to ensure cost-effective and optimal use of resources and wireless technology without jeopardizing security or network integrity.
Primary Responsibilities and Activities
- Planning, designing, implementing, and testing of all aspects of wireless networks.
- Provide/Manage 2nd and 3rd level support for North American store and non-store wireless environments including Aruba-based WiFi at approximately 7000 company owned retail locations in the US and Canada
- Manage and monitor the wireless network, trend and provide forecasting for future changes and/or growth. Troubleshoot the most complex and difficult wireless network challenges
- Direct remediation efforts in response to wireless network operational deficiencies
- Lead as an internal IT wireless network consultant supporting multiple departments, integrating departmental systems into the wireless network, participating in meetings and on project teams related to any new client projects with wireless requirements, exploring the customer’s business requirements, providing recommendations, evaluating risk and helping the customer weigh those risks to make decisions
- Keep up with new trends and changing technology in other IT disciplines to effectively advise others
- Create, review and maintain documentation
- Encourage, challenge, respect, and collaborate with IT professionals and business leaders across the organization
- Mentor and train other IT professionals, be a role model
- Collaborate with the ACT Security Team to ensure wireless networking throughout the enterprise is completely secure and to respond to security advisories
- Act as wireless design authority and provide an assurance role, ensuring that all wireless network architecture activities and deliverables (in-house and external outsourced) are produced to a high quality and are consistent with existing standards, policies and strategies
- Take a lead role in the full life cycle delivery of wireless network solutions for Business projects from initial concept, requirements gathering, specification, design, delivery, acceptance and into operational support
- Ensure wireless solutions fit strategically in the overall infrastructure architecture and meet existing technology and security standards
Knowledge and Skills
- Significant and relevant recent experience leading wireless network design and operations
- Skilled network engineering background strong in core (LAN, WAN, routing, and firewall) skills with an emphasis on troubleshooting. The ideal candidate will also have some experience in security and network design.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of wireless LAN support and engineering design for wireless solutions
- Experience with design, installation and management of Aruba Clearpass for policy management including implementation/management of 802.1x and MPSK authentication via Clearpass is required.
- Superior knowledge, skills and experience with Cisco routing hardware, software and protocols. Router, Switch and IP configuration experience is required
- Prior experience defining network cloud, hosting & EUC strategies
- Clear track record in building wireless network architectural strategy & reference architecture
- Style, that motivates, builds trust and inspires staff and other delivery partners to engage with and commit to high-tempo working and delivery
- Commercially and technically astute problem solver, with the ability to quickly assimilate requirements and propose effective solutions
- Ability to create high quality briefings and slide presentations that explain architectural designs and provide clear articulation of options, recommendations and supporting rationale
- Excellent all-round communication skills, with the ability to present to large and small groups alike, including non-technical audiences, with a style that engages stakeholders and supports the right business decisions
- Excellent stakeholder relationship management, with confidence and conviction that engages and influences senior business leaders, even in challenging situations
- Ability to work alone as an individual contributor, as a technical lead and as a participant in a team environment.
- Effective influencing and negotiating skills in an environment in which this role may not directly control resources
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs, with the ability to establish and maintain a high level of customer trust and confidence
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or Network Engineering with 8 or more years directly related experience managing an enterprise level wireless network environment (proven technical experience may be substituted for educational requirement)
- Desired certifications: Certified Wireless Network Professional (CNWP) or Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) wireless
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple changing and competing priorities
- Plans and organizes own workload, prioritizing when necessary