Director of User Experience
About the Company
Circle K is a renowned convenience store known worldwide for quality products and excellent customer service. We are a Global Fortune 200 company and like to consider ourselves as the ‘biggest start-up’ though we have been in existence for more than 40 years. We have more than 14,500 convenience stores across US, Canada, and Europe.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Director of User Experience to join our multi-national convenience store chain acting in a strategic, leadership role to help reshape the customer journey, driving better usability, deeper adoption, and genuine engagement. The role will be based in Charlotte, NC.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of User Experience establishes and drives the overall multi-channel strategy for design and execution while communicating effective design processes through a strong understanding of user-centered design techniques coupled with practical experience in how a design team should collaborate cross-functionally. In his/her leadership capacity, s/he acts as a consistent champion for the customer, making sure that industry best practices and methodologies are applied.
S/he should have the ability to tell a compelling story, have an artistic, visual orientation, and be well versed in good, modern design aesthetics. You will build and bring to life design systems that can be successfully implemented across digital and physical touchpoints.
CHART THE COURSE AND LEADERSHIP:
- Own and drive multi-channel user experience strategy and innovation to deliver a diverse and multi-year roadmap.
- Build a best-in-class user experience competency by establishing an effective design process, and defining standards, guidelines, best practices, procedures, and determining how the user experience team interacts with other groups.
- Provide overall direction for design and make tough calls around priorities.
- Use analytics, consumer data, and behavioral insights to generate new experiments and opportunities to improve our services and products, as well as, differentiate the overall customer experience.
- Conceptualize, manage and approve prototypes, specification documentation, and style guides.
EXECUTE WITH EXCELLENCE:
- Guide documentation and communication of design – via wireframes, mock-ups, user/process workflows, prototypes, sketches, storyboard, written requirements, usability documentation, and coded UI components that are thorough, thought-through, intuitive, easy to use, and timely.
- Lead all phases of UX design work: distilling research, design ideation, prototyping, final spec design, and implementation.
- Ensure user experience testing methodologies are utilized to improve user experience.
- Proactively participate in disseminating user experience concepts & deliverables to software engineers, ensuring quality outputs at all levels.
- Produce great work in short timeframes, multitask across different projects, and platforms and adapt to the business’s ever-changing priorities.
- Lead design sprints, UX requirements definition sessions, and design thinking workshops and accurately scoping UX research and design work.
- Able to take vision and customer needs, behaviors, and emotions, then transform them into a detailed workflow and roadmap that delivers business results.
- Translate human insights into powerful and impactful user stories, personas, and scenarios. Rapidly iterate on design solutions using.
- Synthesize stakeholder research output & create visualizations that effectively summarize key insights related to user and customer needs and behaviors, product definition.
- Consolidate input from multiple stakeholders, including executive management, marketing, engineering, customers, and product management.
- Collaborate with members of the leadership team to achieve the organization’s Key Success goals.
- Participate in the discovery process to understand project needs, satisfaction drivers, performance requirements, and business cases from a UX expert perspective.
- Partner and cultivate strong relationships with business stakeholders to frame problems, prioritize and scope design efforts, receive and respond to design feedback.
PUSH FOR GROWTH & INNOVATION:
- Be courageous in your thinking such that you go beyond set boundaries to create a new vision that delivers demonstrable impact.
- Continuously monitor design trends, look for broader consumer, market, and retail trends to identify opportunities/threats to identify sources of competitive advantage that inspire innovation of the customer experience.
- Apply and further develop your expertise in developing new approaches to design based on industry best practices, including agile and lean product development methodologies.
ABOUT THE JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum of a B.A/B.Sc in Graphic Design, Human Computer Interaction (HCI) Design, Psychology, Information Science, Design, or related field. A Master’s degree is a plus.
- 10+ years of demonstrated User experience or Visual design experience an agile, fast-paced working environment building enterprise products.
- Experience in web and mobile solutions with advanced knowledge of design practices, including visual design, interaction design, prototyping, etc. with an eye for the latest UX trends and best practices.
- 6+ years’ Retail /CPG experience; and 3+ years’ experience in eCommerce.
- Experience leading or executing a UX research and design work such as design sprints, UX requirements definition sessions, or design thinking workshops to scope UX research and design work.
- Comprehensive understanding of customer needs and expectations, as well as, addressing those needs and expectations by simplifying complex workflows, promoting ease of use, and consistently delighting the customer.
- Expert understanding of designing and detailing intuitive interfaces for cross-platform devices with proven ability to work in a global collaborative environment and simultaneously manage multiple projects.
- Ability to switch gears from deep design thinking to rapid-fire execution and Thinks holistically so that we build winning end-to-end experiences.
- Fluency with design and rapid prototyping tools such as OmniGraffle, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Invision, and/or other UX & prototyping software, such as Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Figma, InVision, Principle, Framer, Balsamiq, etc.
- Exceptional communication with an affinity for visual storytelling, and presentation skills to present ideas effectively to peers, senior-level management, external stakeholders, technical developers, and business partners.
- Led numerous interaction design projects ranging from large-scale site redesigns to tactical site enhancements.
- A strong strategic mindset and a systems thinking approach.